Is Hollywood racist? Just how smart am I? Can I decorate my Easter eggs to look like hamburgers? The answers to these questions and more in this month’s Wonders of the Web.
1. Domino- 15 Indie Clothing Lines You Need to Know Before Summer– I consider myself pretty well-versed when it comes to the latest in independent design. I was a little surprised to find that I had heard of only a handful of these designers. And more than a little delighted to find that they all rocked. (Special shout out to Brother Vellies. Those shoes! With a cause, no less. Major swoon.)
2. Studio DIY- DIY Burger Easter Eggs– I think the photo speaks for itself. These are beyond words adorable.
3. My Domaine- The Surprising Qualities That Make Your Smarter– Potty mouth? Check. Over-sleeper? Only since birth. According to this, I’m a damn wizard.
4. Who What Wear- A Proven Trick For Improving Your Style– A lot of my time on the web is spent researching fashion. (Shopping is research, right?) Though I’m not one for writing down outfit ideas, I do keep a pretty extensive Pinterest board of style inspo. Apparently, I’m not the only one.
5. My Modern Met- Kids Are Practicing Their Reading Skills to Soothe Shy Shelter Dogs– If the title alone doesn’t melt your heart, you’re probably a robot.
6. Racked- Meet the Woman Behind Wes Anderson’s Elaborate Sets– I am a Wes Anderson junkie. I want to live in his movies. Part of what makes his fantastical world so enchanting is the beyond-detailed set dressing of each film. This gives a closer look at the woman behind the magic.
7. Lucky Peach- How to Eat a Burrito– This seemed all too appropriate as I dine on my third burrito this week. I wish I was exaggerating.
8. New York Times- What It’s Really Like to Work in Hollywood* (*if you’re not a straight, white man)– This is a brilliant piece, comprised of interviews with successful industry minorities. To be a minority in Hollywood does not just designate race. It also refers to gender and sexuality. Say nothing of age, religion, etc. As a double minority (female and Asian) in the entertainment industry for many years, this article struck a cord.
9. Goop- The Downtown Los Angeles Guide– I love DTLA. I love Goop. Is it any wonder that I gobbled this one up?
10. Afar- The Weirdest Festivals on Earth– Because monkeys.